Configure Gmail online account to work also in Offline mode
Today I configure my Gmail online account to work also in offline mode. This feature lets you browse your mail offline. To achieve this task I have installed Google Gears on my local machine. Gmail uses Google Gears to download a local cache of your mail. As long as you are connected to the network, that cache is synchronized with Gmail servers. When you lose your connection, Gmail automatically switches to offline mode, and uses the data stored on your computers hard drive instead of the information sent across the network. You can read messages, star and label them, and do all of the things you are used to doing while reading your webmail online. Any messages you send while offline will be placed in your outbox and automatically sent the next time Gmail detects a connection.
Steps to configure Gmail work also in offline mode:-
- For this first of all you need to install Google Gears. You can download it from here. www.gears.google.com
- Run the online installer or save the file and then double click it install it on your system.
- Now open your Gmail account and navigate to the settings and then to the Offline tab.
- There you will find a feature called "Enable Offline Mail for this Computer". Enable that and click on Save Setting Button.
- It will ask your permission to Install Offline Access for Gmail. Click next.
- After that you will get a Gear Security Warning, allow it.
- Gear create desktop shortcut. Click ok.
It will download all your mails to your hard drive for offline browsing. Have fun browsing Gmail offline.